There are many different types of leather that is used in creating good quality leather footwear. The
principles of caring for leather shoes remain the same, here are a few tips on how to extend the
longevity of your leather shoes:
- Ensure that you enquire as to what type of leather you are purchasing. Smooth leather is easier to care for, whereas suede needs some extra attention and care. Most leather shoes are treated and therefore need specialized products for cleaning.
- Remove any caked of dirt or stains with a soft brush after every wear. This will prevent the stains
from settling into the leather. After removing dirt / stains, rub a clean, dry, soft cloth against the entire surface of the shoe. (not for suede shoes)
- Do not place shoes near a heater or in sunlight. Both can cause cracking and discolouration.
- Always treat leather shoes by using specialised products for protecting and cleaning. These products are available at your nearest Cape Union Mart store.
- Store leather shoes outside of the box. Give leather shoes (especially boots) a day’s rest in
between wearing them to allow them to air out.